We hope you will be interested in attending this exciting festival in Hamilton, taking place June 5-7, 2009 at Temple Anshe Sholom.
Registration includes workshops with authors, a panel discussion, klezmer storytelling, a literary anthology, and much more. Our program is below. For your convenience, there is a registration form at the end of the email. Please print and return it to Temple Anshe Sholom by non-electronic means. If you would like us to drop off paper copies of this flier, let us know. Please forward this e-flyer to your friends, family, and colleagues. We apologize for multiple mailings.
Lil Blume and Ellen Jaffe
From Sinai to the Shtetl and Beyond:
June 5 – 7, 2009
215 Cline Avenue North
Hamilton, Ontario L8S 4A1
12:45 - 2:15
7:30 - 10:00 p.m.
11:30 - 12:30
Workshop space will be limited so early registration will guarantee you a place.
- Reading/Discussion: Edeet Ravel reads from and discusses her novels.
- Presentation including slides and poetry: Isa Milman, The Making of Prairie Kaddish: The Story of Jewish Immigration to the Canadian Prairies.
- Presentation/Writing: Ellen S. Jaffe, Writing For Children: Passing on the Legacy. Ellen is the co-organizer of this conference. More information about Ellen can be found at http://www.ellen-s-jaffe.com/EllenBio.html.
- Reading/Discussion: Steve Stern reads from his works and discusses his sources.
- Reading/Discussion: J.J. Steinfeld reads from and discusses his new book, Word Burials.
- Discussion/Writing: Karen Shenfeld, The Poet and the Child. Karen is a filmmaker, researcher, and widely published freelance writer and poet based in Toronto.
- Storytelling Presentation: Barry Rosen, Introduction to Jewish Storytelling.
Presentation/Discussion: Twyla Hendry, On Being a Leonard Cohen Fan. Twyla ran this popular session at our previous festival.
- Presentation/Discussion: Sharon H. Nelson, Just Cooking: Reading and Writing About Food. .
- Presentation/Discussion: Ron Ruskin, Creativity and Pain: A writer/psychoanalyst explores and discusses humour. Ron is an assistant professor in the Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, and a co-chair of the Psychiatry and Humanities group at Mount Sinai Hospital.
- Discussion/Writing: Lil Blume, Writing Your Jewish Family Stories and Memoirs. Lil is the co-organizer of this conference. More information about Lil can be found at www.lilblume.ca.
- Presentation/Reading: Steve Mayoff, Turning Family Stories into Art. Steve Mayoff is joining us from PEI to read at the cabaret and present this workshop. More information about Steven can be found at http://www.stevenmayoff.ca/.