Thursday, January 24, 2008

ROCKIN’ THE BLUES FROM CANADA BLOGMISTRESS SEEKS FEEDBACK


I received a discouraging comment recently (and not the first one) about this somewhat unconventional blog, which left me wondering if I am wasting my time and energy in maintaining it. The comment was that I shouldn’t expect any “free trade” (for example, a guest list pass to a bar gig) by musicians/clubs who are promoted here, but that playing these artists, or plugging a nightclub, on my weekly radio show would warrant reciprocal favour. I failed to see what gives one form of promotion so much more credibility over the other, particularly since the blog entails much more work on my part (editing, formatting, etc.) and particularly since the blog is also referred to on-air, and vice-versa.

Although I no longer write journals about events I’ve attended or CDs I’ve heard (see my main website for links to T’Oh-Jam, Hammer-Jam and Great Big Rock Jam), I believe this blog at least offers its readers some information on what is going on in different parts of the world, even if it’s just a band/artist photo and a website link. I’m not going to all this bother for the purpose of getting into gigs for “free” (because I certainly don’t), but I admit the show of appreciation would be nice. In most cases, it leads to additional promotion for the artist, so who is really “giving away” more than their share?

Your comments (anonymous or not) to this posting would be greatly appreciated.

D.D. Rocker
Blogmistress, Rockin’ the Blues from Canada

No comments: