Monday, October 25, 2010

"ROCKIN' THE BLUES FROM CANADA" - JOURNAL ENTRY - OCT. 25/10
Well, my particular funding drive show at CKCU 93.1 FM is now over and done with (phew)!
I won't pretend it was a successful endeavour on my part, but I wasn't really expecting it to be. History has shown me that volunteer efforts to promote music and other kinds of arts just don't carry the same weight as volunteering to raise cancer research funds or providing practical assistance (e.g. chauffeur services) to elderly or disabled people. And I don't disagree with that.
I mean, really, who cares if community/campus radio stations stop broadcasting because of the lack of community funding? There are hundreds of other stations that will "entertain" listeners for free with a repetitive rotation of the latest (or stalest) musical flavour of the week, as long as you can stomach the plethora of commercial advertising that goes along with it. And for some strange reason, the general public doesn't seem to mind being bombarded with commercials, as long as they know they are part of a large crowd (baaa, baaa). Just don't complain about these corporations getting richer and richer because you've been sucked into buying products you don't need or that don't work properly. And, musicians, don't complain that your music is not getting any exposure if you are not willing to pay for publicity, even as a tax exemption.
Enough said - I will continue to "play DJ" without pay or acknowledgement because I love to do it, period.
D.D. Rocker/Misty Blue 1955
Volunteer Producer/Host
"Rockin' the Blues from Canada"
Alternate Mondays, 2-7 a.m. EST
CKCU 93.1 FM - and streaming online at www.ckcufm.com
-----------------------------------------------

No comments: