Sunday, September 30, 2012
“ROCKIN’ THE BLUES FROM CANADA” – CHMR FM – PLAYLIST – SEPT. 29/12
Programmed and hosted by D.D. Rocker/Misty Blue 1955
1) Muddy Waters (Hard Again) – “Blues Had a Baby…” (0:31)
2) Robert Russell (Dirt Roads & Dead Flowers) – “Head Over Heels” (3:42)
3) Roger Russell (The Fire Still Burns as Bright) – “The Fire Still…” (3:40)
4) Joe Bonamassa (Black Rock) – “Athens to Athens” (2:26)
5) Erth Juce (Get Wet) – “Site 41 Blues” (4:36)
6) Rod Cook and Toast (Troublemaker) – “Chasing My Tail” (2:52)
7) Planet Seed [indie mp3] – “It’s Gonna Be Okay” (3:49)
8) The Novaks (Big World EP) – “Big World” (2:19)
9) Rob Tognoni (Art) – “Heaven or Hell” (3:36)
D.D.’s BLUE NOTES – SEPT. 29/12
Juno award-winning guitarist Jack de Keyzer is getting set to release an all-new original studio recording of blues-rock music entitled Electric Love. It’s scheduled to be launched in late October, early November.
High-profile Toronto musicians probably owe a great deal of their success to long-time Toronto music promoter Gary17 as they do to the recently-deceased Sam the Record Man. Gary17 was the original owner and publisher of the legendary t.o. nite magazine and is the current publisher of Toronto Moon. He may not be savviest of businessmen, but he has consistently poured his whole heart and soul (not to mention his own wallet) into the task of sharing his keen ear for musical talent, whether they be live performers or recording artists, as well. Because of his persistence in helping others achieve fame and glory, to his own detriment, he has once again fallen on hard times and needs more subscribers to Toronto Moon to help him get back on his feet. If you’re based in the Greater Toronto Area and are serious about your musical career, it’s a worthwhile and very inexpensive investment. As well, having worked as a reporter for him myself, I know he gives back 200% to his loyal supporters. For more info on getting your own career kickstarted, you can email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Speaking of promoting local musicians, St. John’s Chris Kirby, who opened for 8 Ball Aitken at Distortion last week, has been nominated for five MusicNL awards for his brilliant Wonderizer release, which also features Juno award-winner “Southside” Steve Marriner of Ottawa. Nashville-based 8 Ball, a country music award-nominee in his native Australia, struck me as being a mix of John Lee Hooker, Arlo Guthrie, John Mellencamp, and John Fogerty all rolled into one. And that glorious mane of long red hair – oh, my! Next week, I’ll be featuring tracks from his Alive in Tamworth CD, now available at Fred’s Records, so I hope you can tune in for that. You can also pick up a copy of Wonderizer at Fred’s. Check out musicnl.ca for a complete list of the nominees.
Also coming up are the Maple Blues Awards in Toronto, as well as East Coast Music Week 2013, taking place from March 6-10 in Moncton, NB.
One last musical coda, musician Mike McDonald, not to be confused with the international comic of the same name, has started a Sunday singer-songwriter evening at The Levee on George Street. I had a chance to check it out a couple of weeks ago, as it was slated to run from 7-11 p.m. It started a wee bit later than that, but it’s a no-nonsense, well-run event, that included six or seven performers, with only a few minutes’ break in between sets. I only just wish The Levee would provide some coffee instead of just booze for refreshment, as the event is geared more towards listening rather than loud partying. Rowdy Blues it ain’t, but there’s no reason it couldn’t be, other than a Monday morning hangover.
I’m D.D. Rocker (a.k.a. Misty Blue 1955) and you’re listening to “Rockin’ the Blues from Canada” on CHMR 93.5 FM, streaming live online at www.mun.ca/chmr, and broadcasting on Rogers TV Channel 942 and Bell Aliant Channel 825. “Iron Maidens” is up next at 10, followed by Converts of Reason with Rory and Liam, and then Newfound Records with Wayne Tucker at noon. In the meantime, stay tuned for more tunes.
10) Joel Dasilva & The Midnight Howl (Joel Dasilva & The Midnight Howl)
– “Hangin’ On” (2:38)
11) Coldsweat (Corporate Slave) – “Junkyard Dog” (3:13)
12) Guitar Mikey (Out of the Box) – “Blues Head” (5:25)
13) Downchild Blues Band (I Need a Hat) – “This Must Be Love” (2:53)
14) The Bill King Trio (Face Aces) – “King City Stomp” (2:43)
15) Heaven’s Radio (Rendez-Vous – Active) – “Theme” (2:31)