Sunday, February 22, 2009

ALBERT COLLINS WITH DAVID BREWER BAND - BICENTENNIAL SESSION





Albert Collins with The David Brewer Band
- July 4th 1976 - The Bicentennial Session

Track Listing:

1 Albert warms up/"The things that I used to do"

2 "Angel of mercy"

3 "Albert's Jam"

4 Albert and David play

5 "Sex Machine"

6 "Ego Trip"

7 "Mercy Mercy"

Also available:

* DAVID BREWER: Ghost Dance
* DAVID BREWER AND THE INTIMIDATORS: Absolutely
* DAVID BREWER: Bad Habits

Recommended if you like ...


July 4th 1976 The Bicentennial Session

Albert Collins with The David Brewer Band

[Notes by David Brewer - http://www.myspace.com/davidbrewerblues]


It was the Bicentennial, Saturday night July 4th, 1976. We had a 3 night stand at “The Hayloft” in Vancouver Washington, a barn of a nightclub. It was a big place that held about 400 people. I
ask the guys who were running the board (Rose City Sound) if they would mind recording all 3 nights, and they agreed. So during the day I went down to Radio Shack and bought a stack of 8 track tapes, and it was on. At the end of the gig they turned the unmixed tapes over to me. When we got back to Seattle we went up to my friend’s studio to pick out a few tunes and mix them down. That was Bobby Lang’s “Star Trax”, then just a garage, but the beginning of an award-winning studio. After that, the tapes stayed in a box for 32 years.

On November 22, 2008, I took them out to my friend Ravens (Humphres) Black Wing studio to re-master them. Now I’m proud to let everybody hear them.

This recording was done shortly before Albert signed with Alligator, and he sounds great. I started touring with Albert early in 1974, first in the big blue Caddie with a U-Haul trailer behind, and later, Albert in his van and the band riding in Coco Montoya's (Albert’s drummer at the time) van. The first year I played with Albert I made $600.00 taxable income, after strings, whiskey, gas and food, and I was on stage 3 or 4 nights a week with the best blues guitarist that ever lived. I wouldn’t have changed a thing…

The players on this tape are:

Albert Collins (guitar/vocals)
David Brewer (guitar)
Darrell “Rabbit” Warren (Bass)
Kenneth”Boom” Gaspar (Hammond B-3)
Les Hutchinson (drums)

The tapes were restored by Don King and remastered by Raven Humphres of Black Wing Studios in Marysville, Washington. I hope you enjoy these tunes as much as I do…

You can purchase a copy of this CD and additional solo CDs by David Brewer or with The Intimidators at CD Baby - http://cdbaby.com/acdbrewer



David Brewer/2009

www.davidbrewerblues.com



-------------------------------------------------

No comments: