Sunday, March 18, 2007

Kate Schrock Newsletter & Saint Paddy's Day Newsletter



March 17th, 2007

Greetings everyone ~ (And Happy St. Patty's Day!)

It has been a long time since I wrote a 'what's new' or 'notes from the road' entry for all of you - perhaps mostly because I have not been on the road for a while. I have, however, been working on a new album, with long-time engineer producer partner Steve Drown (Dames Rocket, Shunyata) and arranger Glen DaCosta.

This album has been in the works for a long time. I came off the road touring 'Indiana' in late 2003 and became side-tracked (in a good way) by trips to Ecuador, and Jamaica - an emersion into perspectives outside the US and a musical partnership with an amazing reggae musician, Glen DaCosta of Bob Marley and The Wailers fame. I was also side-tracked last year as I spent the better part of it managing a struggling non-profit performance space (Opera House in Boothbay Harbor, Maine), which is now a bit more 'on it's feet'.

Travel outside the US and work with Jamaican musicians helped inspire a number of tunes on my upcoming album, entitled 'Invocation'. I now have 10 tracks close to completed. I am heading to work next week into early April to finish with Steve here at the Studio in Portland, Maine. More than likely, I will put this album out myself, but that is to be confirmed and determined in the months to come.

It is good to get back to music, to performing and recording and thinking about the future, which with the grace of God will include travel. I have missed the road terribly. I have missed visiting different parts of the US and have missed seeing you along the way. I've played a few shows here in Maine in the past months and thank the Maine fans for coming out and experiencing the new tunes for the first time. In December we had the luck of having Mr DaCosta in our midst and we played as a trio with guitarist Jeff Rojo, a very talented Mexican classical guitarist who has joined me on stage in the past year.

Last week I was honored to be a part of a very moving tribute to a courageous young woman from Maine, Hanley Denning. Ms. Denning started a wonderful non-profit organization called 'Safe Passage' (check out safepassage.org). Tragically she was killed this past January in a car accident in Guatemala. Nearly 2,000 people attended the sold-out event at Merrill Auditorium here in Portland (several hundred were turned away) on March 9th (Hanley's birthday). I was asked to perform several songs in between the speeches and films including ' Recycled Life' - an Oscar nominated short documentary which highlighted the area in which Hanley worked. Talented trumpeter, Marc Chillemi joined me on stage for the first time and the music felt inspired. Hanley Denning will be dearly missed - but her organization and work will live on for years to come.

Shows coming up are localized here in Maine for now - until the album is done and I can work it into other parts of the US and start planning tour dates. I will keep all of you posted about the arrival of 'Invocation' and let you know if there will be an opportunity to buy advanced copies (stay tuned!).

For now, my next show coming up:
Saturday, May 5th 8PMSt Lawrence Arts and Community Center79 Congress St.Portland, Maine(207)347-0570http://www.stlawrencearts.org/tix: $12 in advance / $15 day of showavailable at all Bull Moose outlets & St Lawrence box office


Even though today we are being blasted by another snowstorm and Winter's stubborn refusal to step aside for Spring, I am excited at the prospect of warmer weather on the way - new music - new connections - renewed emersion into the creative life. I hope all of you are doing very well on the heels of the most demanding of seasons.

Yours truly,

Kate Schrock
http://www.kateschrock.com/

Kakelane Music
P.O. Box 1317
Westbrook, ME. 04092

No comments: