Please see below. If you'd like a review copy of the CD, let me know, or I could send you MP3's as well.
What: The Niagara Rhythm Section
Where: The Anchorage, 186 Ricardo St. Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON, 905-468-2141
The Niagara Rhythm Section
Live at the Anchorage 2.0
This is the second volume of a series of live recordings featuring Niagara Music Award winners, The Niagara Rhythm Section, Canada’s hottest back-up band and their weekly guests.
The Niagara Rhythm Section has been performing every Saturday night since 2003 at The Anchorage Inn in historic Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada. Steve Goldberger on bass and vocals, Dave Norris on drums, Penner MacKay on percussion (all veteran musicians originally hailing
from Toronto) and Herb Nelson on keyboards are the core of the band with several rotating guitar players filling out the mix (Steve Grisbrook, Ed Kopala and others).
Each week they invite a different Canadian artist to be their guest and they put on an unrehearsed two-hour show of live improvised music. Their guests have included both well-known Canadian name artists, as well as some of the most in-demand studio musicians in the country.
Some of the guests artists over the years have been: Chuck Jackson, Tony Springer, Carlos Del Junco, Lance Anderson, Denis Keldie, Johnny Max, Gayle Ackroyd, Mark Lalama, John Dickie, Steve Grisbrook, John Mays, Al Lerman, Danny Marks, Jerome Godboo, Neil Chapman, Whiskey Jack, Tom Leighton & Conrad Kipping, Blair Packham, and many more amazing talents.
Most weeks, bandleader and record producer, Steve Goldberger will lug his 16 track mobile recording rig down to the club and record the show. Produced and mixed later at his “Hitsville NOTL/Shed Studios, these CD’s are a result of these efforts and capture some of the amazing
moments and great improvised jams.
Live at the Anchorage 2.0 features 12 tracks a variety of styles and artists:
- Chuck Jackson does a great reggae version of Bob Marley’s, “No Woman No Cry”.
- Lance Anderson does Professor Longhair’s “Back to New Orleans”
- Mark Rutherford does a swampy version of Ellington’s, “Don’t Get Around Much Anymore”
- Tony Springer sings an soulful version of Albert King’s, “I Play the Blues for You”
- Gayle Ackroyd does a heartfelt version of Etta James’, “I’d Rather Go Blind”
- Mark Lalama does a great medley of Randy Newman’s, “You Can Leave Your Hat On”, combined with Billy Preston’s, “Nothin’ From Nothin” and “Will it go Round in Circles”
- John Dickie rocks out on the classic, “Long Tall Sally”
- Paul Martin and Martin Aucoin tear up the joint with the Stones’, “Sympathy for the Devil”
- Bob McNiven does a great bluegrass tune, “Can’t Stop My Heart From Loving You”
- Suzanne Hyatt funks the house with the classic, “Standing on Shaky Ground”
Joining in the CD Release celebrations this week, we welcome our special guest, Chuck Jackson (www.chuckjackson.com).
In 1990 Chuck became the front man of the legendary Downchild Blues Band, appearing on JUNO-nominated albums Good Times Guaranteed, Come On In and on Lucky 13. Four-time nominee and winner of the Maple Blues Award's "Male Vocalist of the Year" in 2000. In 2002 Chuck was honored by the Toronto Blues Society with the prestigious "Blues With A Feeling"
Award for his contribution to Canadian Blues.
Chuck always puts on an amazing show and he draws a big crowd, so get there early if you want a good seat!
Coming up @ The Anchorage, NOTL
The Niagara Rhythm Section with special guests:
Oct 11th - John Dickie & Steve Grisbrook
October 18th - Mark & Paul Lalama
October 25th - Denis Keldie & Neil Chapman
Nov 1st - John Findlay
Nov 8th - Tim Hicks & Bruce Longman
Nov 15th - Steve Grisbrook - celebrating our 5th anniversary at the Anchorage!
Nov 22nd - Al Lerman & Ed Kopala
Nov 29th - Espanola Slim & Steve Grisbrook
Dec 6th - Martin Alex Aucoin & Paul Martin
Dec 20th - Eric Mahar
Dec 27th - Bruce Longman
January/09 is "Niagara Month" at the Anchorage featuring:
Jan 10th - Marty Allen & Dave Tufford
If you missed our shows lately, you can now see the Niagara Rhythm Section live and other homemade videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteveGoldberger
Load up your ipod with our music or purchase our CD's at:
or at CDbaby: