Monday, April 06, 2009

JULIAN FAUTH NEWSLETTER (APR. 6)



Hello folks. Here is the news this week. In this edition:

- Message from Julian Fauth about the JUNO Award

- Mel Brown Remembered

- Mel Brown Trust Fund

- Congratulations to Julian Still Going On

- Julian Fauth on the Radio

- Julian Fauth’s Gigs this Week

- How to Book Julian Fauth

Check Julian’s website, www.julianfauth.com.

MESSAGE FROM JULIAN FAUTH ABOUT THE JUNO AWARD

“Thank You

Until March 27th I had an unblemished record of being nominated for awards and strenuously avoiding winning any. But everybody has a lapse sometimes, and this year I've ruined my perfect record by winning the 2009 Juno Award for Best Blues album, for "Ramblin' Son" (Electro-Fi). I was dumbstruck; I would have bet any money that I wasn't going to win. I was so sure that I went to Montréal instead! So I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the many people that made this possible.

In roughly chronological order, I'd like to thank:

The old blues musicians who created the music I've loved and listened to since the age of 6: Leroy Carr, Little Brother Montgomery, Roosevelt Sykes, Memphis Slim, Otis Spann and all the rest.

My late father, Gerhard, and mother Barbara for giving me my first blues record and encouraging my noodling, and my sister Vivian for the many times I cajoled her into playing blues with me when we were kids.

Klaus Runze for showing me that the piano is nothing to be afraid of, Dieter and Dagmar for jamming with me when they were full-grown adults and I hadn't reached puberty.

The great musician and friend Mel Brown, whose jams at Pop The Gator in Kitchener I used to attend regularly. Without Mel's encouragement, I probably wouldn't have considered playing music in public for a living. I'm one of many people Mel touched, and I miss him very much.

Robert Khalem, the secret soul of the Toronto blues scene, for giving me my first gig in Toronto, and for the many great meals and listening evenings in his Kitchen.

Bo Basiuk and Andrew Demciuk for first getting me into a studio to record the indie CD "The World You Live In".

Andrew Galloway from Electro-Fi for signing me to his great label, and letting me make the CDs "Songs Of Vice And Sorrow" and "Ramblin' Son", which were both nominated for Junos.

Mako Funasaka for his tireless work on my website and his contribution to documenting contemporary blues with his documentary series "Talkin' Blues".

John Allen, my friend and agent, who took me under his wing and has worked hard to promote my gigs and to book me into many festivals.

All the musicians I have had the pleasure to meet, listen to and play with over the past 10 years, and especially the great gang that contributed to "Rambling Son": Drew Jurecka on violin, Jay Danley and Donné Roberts on guitar, James Thomson, Sam Petite and Alec Fraser on bass, Wayne Charles, Ken Yoshioka, David Rotundo and Paul Reddick on harmonica and Bob Vespaziani on drums. They all own a piece of this Juno.

The Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences and the panel of Juno judges for nominating “Ramblin’ Son” and then for selecting it to win Blues Album of the Year.

All the friends and folks who have come to the bars I've played at over the years and supported me.

And most importantly, my dear long-suffering girlfriend Kim Roberts, who doesn't get to see me as much as we both would like, and who is an incredibly talented musician in her own right. (The next Juno in this family should be yours.)

I'd also like to congratulate the other Juno nominees, and to pay my respect to the late Jeff Healey. I only jammed with him a few times, but I admired him and was sure he would win. It's really true that being nominated is what counts, and it was an honour to be nominated alongside these great musicians.

Now it's back to work.”

- Julian Fauth -

MEL BROWN REMEMBERED

Here, folks, is another message from Julian.

“When Mel Brown died on March 20, 2009, the blues lost another great exponent. Mel was a master on guitar as well as piano. On the many recordings he made with legendary blues musicians like B.B. King, Bobby Bland, John Lee Hooker, Earl Hooker, Snooky Pryor and many others, Mel helped define the sound of modern blues. He was also a very nice, gentle, shy and generous person, who encouraged legions of young wannabe musicians wherever he played. For the past 20 years or so, he lived and worked in Kitchener. I first met and heard him there in 1989, and I'm one of many blues players coming out of Kitchener who owe him a debt of gratitude for his encouragement and example. I'll miss him very much. I'd like to send my love and support to his wife, the great singer Miss Angel.”

- Julian Fauth -

MEL BROWN TRUST FUND

The Toronto Blues Society has set up an account to help support the estate of blues legend Mel Brown who passed away on Friday, March 20th. Donations can deposit directly at any TD Canada Trust Bank to the Mel Brown Memorial Trust, Account 1952-6290076. Cheques payable to "Mel Brown Memorial Trust" can also be mailed the Toronto Blues Society.

CONGRATULATIONS TO JULIAN STILL GOING ON

At Julian’s gigs this past week the joints have been jumping with people wanting to pat him on the back and (occupational hazard) buy him a drink. Easy now, folks! Don’t corrupt that boy or tire him out! (Though one has probably already happened and the other one probably never will – you decide which is which.)

Julian’s first show after the JUNO Award was his regular Tuesday night gig at Gate 403, and the place was jammed with fans and fellow musicians. For those of you on the direct distribution list I have attached a photo taken there of ANDREW GALLOWAY, JAMES THOMSON, JAY DANLEY, and JULIAN FAUTH holding the JUNO statuette. GERRY LEBRUN took the photo. If anyone on the blues lists wants the photo, please email mail.

On Sunday HOWIE MOORE promoted Brunch with Julian at Axis and it was packed (best day ever according to Roger the owner) and attended by all kinds of musicians, artists, friends and luminaries including MP GERARD KENNEDY and MPP CHERI DINOVO. I am told that next week those two will be reading their congratulatory statements to Julian in the Canadian Parliament and the Ontario Legislature respectively. Those statements will be written in Hansard, the official record of the proceedings of the Ontario and Canadian governments. Read HOWIE MOORE’s account on the blues lists. Thanks a million for organizing this, Howie.

Unfortunately I have not been able to make any of those shows, mostly tied up with business from my day job. I missed the Axis brunch show because it coincided with the 100th birthday of my daughter-in-law’s Bubi. (Not bad, eh? At 100 she looks to be in better shape than I am, truth be told.) But I did send my best wishes, and I want to thank everyone for supporting Julian.

JULIAN FAUTH ON THE RADIO

This week JULIAN FAUTH’s music has been featured on lots of radio shows including:

Blues Drive hosted by MR Blues, CKDU 88.1 FM in Halifax, Nova Scotia, every Tuesday from 4:00 – 5:30 PM Atlantic Standard Time, www.ckdu.ca.

True Blues hosted by Greg Sarni, WBRS in Waltham, Massachusetts, Monday to Thursday from 10:00 AM to 12:00 noon, Eastern Standard Time, http://www.wbrs.org/

BluzFM hosted by Danny Marks, JazzFM 91 in Toronto, Saturday 8:00 PM EST, www.jazz.fm

Let The Good Times Roll hosted by John Valentyn, CIUT-FM, 89.5 in Toronto, Thursday 3:00 – 5:00 PM EST, www.ciut.fm

Blues Boogie & Bop hosted by Vince Almond, 92.5FM in Kamloops BC, Tuesdays 4:00 – 5:00 PM Pacific Standard Time, www.thex.ca

Sunday Night Soul, hosted by Johnny Max, AM1430, in Toronto, every Sunday Night at 10PM, www.sundaynightsoul.com

JULIAN FAUTH’S GIGS THIS WEEK:

Tuesday, Apr. 7 – Gate 403, 403 Roncesvalles, Toronto, 416-588-2930, 8:00 PMfeaturing James Thomson on bass and Tim Hamel on trumpet

Wednesday, Apr. 8 – Addis Ababa, 1184 Queen Street West, Toronto, (416) 538-0059, 9:00 PM – featuring James Thomson on bass and Andrew Austin on drums

Thursday, Apr. 9 – Fifth Grill, 221 Richmond Street West, Toronto, 416-979-3005, 7:00 to 11:00 PM, featuring James Thomson on bass and special guest Jay Danley on guitar.

Friday, Apr. 10 – Momo’s Bistro, 664 Queensway, Toronto, 416-252-5560, 8:00 to 11:00 PM, featuring Jay Danley on guitar and Sam Petite on bass

Saturday, Apr. 11 – Axis Gallery and Grill, 3048 Dundas Street West, Toronto, 416-604-3333, noon to 3:00 PMfeaturing James Thomson on bass

and Hole in the Wall, 2867 Dundas Street West, Toronto, 416-760-7041, 9:00 PM – featuring Dave McManus on bass, Ken Yoshioka on harmonica and Trevor Fenton on drums

Sunday, Apr. 12 – Axis Gallery and Grill, 3048 Dundas Street West, Toronto, 416-604-3333, noon to 3:00 PMfeaturing James Thomson on bass

HOW TO BOOK JULIAN FAUTH

To book JULIAN FAUTH contact John Allen at 1-416-769-2272, by emailing wexfordmusic@gmail.com, or by responding to this newsletter with your inquiry. I will return your phone call or email promptly.

Bye for now,

John






--------------------------------------------------

No comments: