- The fourth annual Scissors for Seizures event will occur on Sunday, April 5, 2009, at Elite Image Hair & Spa and Hair Junkie in Ottawa, ON, from noon until 4:00 pm. Please mark your calendars! See our Upcoming Events for more information. [Volunteers are needed to sell tickets and/or donate prizes.]
- Read our February 2009 newsletter.
- Our Annual General Meeting (AGM) will occur on April 6, 2009 at 6:45 pm. This is your opportunity to meet the President of EOC as well as the Board of Directors. Please come out and vote and tell us what matters to you.
- On March 26, 2009, WEAR PURPLE and spread the word about Epilepsy! Visit www.purpleday.org
- Information regarding Summerfest 2009 is now available! Summerfest is Epilepsy Ontario's summer camp program for children 6-17 living with epilepsy. This year, the camp will run from June 28 to July 10.
- The OBCL Epilepsy Scholarship Awards are back again this year! Young people between the ages of 16 and 21, who are under the care of a Canadian physician for the treatment of epilepsy, have a chance to win $1,000.00. The deadline is on May 9, 2008. An application form can be obtained from www.epilepsyontario.org or by calling 800-463-1119.
- Epilepsy and President Barack Obama: David Axelrod, Senior Advisor to Barack Obama is married to Susan Alexrod, President and founding member of CURE. Also, Congressman Rahm Emanuel, White House Chief of Staff is "a strong advocate of increasing federal funding for epilepsy research and epilepsy awareness and has focused specifically on funding geared towards Iraqi War veterans whose traumatic brain injuries are expected to lead to epilepsy in a large number of cases."
- EOC Peer Support Group for young adults (18 to 30 years of age) meets on the last Wednesday of the month (except July) at 6:00 p.m. at the Epilepsy Ottawa-Carleton office (207-211 Bronson Ave.). Contact 613-594-9255 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- See the Fundraising Activities page for fundraising news.
- The staff of the Barrhaven Wal-Mart raised $478.00 for Epilepsy Ottawa-Carleton. Thank you! See the Fundraising Activities page for more information.
- Public information meetings with guest speakers
- Support groups for those who have epilepsy.
- We are the leaders in "Seizure Smart" education – an in-service educational program for community organizations, workplaces and school group.
- Information Displays - a staffed public information booth for conferences, malls, wellness fairs, etc.
- Our local website provides information and resources.
- A wide resource library of materials on epilepsy at our office including videos and DVDs.
- Phone and referral information.
- Lavender Awareness items to purchase.
- EOC’s Brainwaves Newsletter. A newsletter with news and information on epilepsy and EOC: Winter 2008 issue; Winter 2007 issue; Summer 2007 issue.
- New members, volunteers and donations are always welcome!