Monday, July 27, 2009

SHAWN BRUSH NEWSLETTER (JULY 12)


Hello, friends.

Canada Day in Bronte (Oakville), ON

The day was a little rainy but I hit the stage @ 2 pm and did my first set. On the second set I was joined by Stephen Fearing. He flew in from Halifax just to play Canada Day. After Stephen did his set, I joined him on stage and jammed out a few tunes. We also did a little tribute to Jackie Washington (R.I.P.) by singing "Sunny Side of the Street".

On Friday, July 3rd, I did a tribute to my good friend, Roadkill Bill, at the Ohsweken Speedway. Bill was a huge fan of sprint car racing. I performed "Highway of Heroes", a song Bill had co-written for Canada's fallen. The race was also dedicated to Bill, in his memory. Here's a link:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=89605&id=622268262&ref=mf

Here is a note from a fan:

I happened to be at The Ohsweken Speedway on Friday (Jul 3 2009) and I was very surprised to find that the entire evening was a tribute to our departed friend, Bill Pier.

Shawn Brush did a superb rendition of Bill's song, "Highway of Heroes", to open the event. Looking around in the audience there were a few tears visible.

I had no idea that Bill Pier was involved with the sport of racing but apparently he was well known in many areas


National Conference for the Little People of America

On Sunday, July 5th, I picked up my sister Michelle and headed for Buffalo, NY. Our flight to JFK was delayed so we had some time to kill. Michelle got searched several times, as she had to go in and out of the terminal for a smoke every half-hour. When we got to JFK there was some damage to my wheelchair !!! (yikes). We flew JetBlue and they took care of everything right away. Lucky my chair could still be used, and a little tape will keep things in place. They gave me a credit to use towards a future flight and are sending someone to Canada to fix the chair.

I had called and arranged a wheelchair taxi and the wrong one was sent (a town car). So it was a NYC cab; the first one had a broken ramp. It was almost 10:30pm with 120 flights still coming in to JFK - 1000s of people coming and going. We finally got a cab with a wheelchair ramp that worked. Our driver wore a turban and did his mantra and prayed during the hour-long taxi ride of death on New York's Van Wyck Expressway (AAAGGGHHHH). In every cab there is a screen with advertising and a GPS map of where your cab is. We made it to the hotel alive in a sea of three-foot-tall humans and got checked in. The hotel restaurant was closed so we headed out into Brooklyn's streets for a meal. We found an all-night diner called "Happy Days" and got something to go.

On Monday morning Michelle was up early and hit the markets. She scored us fruit and supplies for our stay in The Big Apple. I met with a few doctors and they all agreed I was fat. One doctor was very quiet and I asked why. He said, "I DID NOT WANT TO TELL YOU YOU'RE FAT". I said, "That's okay. I did not want to tell you you're ugly." It was all in fun and no harm was done. They suggested I lose a few pounds. The last doctor I met with was a great guy. Doctor George Tiller from L.A. and also a fine bass player. He lived in Memphis, then Nashville, and now L.A. We talked long about music and he gave me some excellent medical advice. The rest of the night I got caught up with some friends and made plans for Tuesday.

Tuesday was full. The Little People of America conference was in full swing. I made my way around the expo and vendors that market products for little people, everything from food to clothes, to bikes, to work and living aids.

I did a sound check around 5:30 pm and went for some dinner. I came back to the hotel and the Little People revue was started. I was impressed with the other performers I saw there. John Michaels is a fantastic piano player and Duke Mason is a showman, bar none. I did my set and sat back to enjoy my friend Michael Gogin close out the evening, and he did a fine job. Afterwards I spent the night talking to new friends and fans. Later on I took a ride on my chair up the street. I went right up on the Brooklyn Bridge and enjoyed the view of Lower Manhattan, New York Harbor and, of course, Lady Liberty.

On Wed., my sis and I hit Fulton Mall, a large shopping area in Brooklyn Heights. We picked up some gifts for family and friends, then we headed for the subway. We hit Times Square and started to walk and walk and walk. Did I mention how much we walked ? From Times Square we went through the Diamond District. I got a Rolex knock-off and then 2 or 3 people tried to buy it from me. Next it was St. Patrick's Cathedral. WOW - what a building! We stayed for Mass, a first for me in more than 15 years. After that we headed up 5th Ave (Madison Ave.). I went pee in Trump Towers !!

We saw a little bit of NYC sadness - a homeless woman on a corner, wrapped in a blanket, with a cup for change. New York can be a cold place. Next stop, Central Park pretzels and hotdogs (Nathan's NY finest) and back down 7th Ave. A little stop at Carnegie Hall and Carnegie Hall Towers, then the Ed Sullivan Theatre (David Letterman Show). Back down through Times Square and to Penn Station. Next stop, 4th Street and Washington Square Park (awesome).

It was now 10 pm and my sister and I knew we were done. We had hoped to go to Coney Island, but we can save that for the next time. We called a wheelchair cab and had one in 15 mins. We took a tour of Little Italy right down to Mulberry Street. That was a long day !!!

Thursday it was checkout and saying goodbye to everyone. Another wheelchair taxi and a nice driver that took us down Atlantic Ave. through Brooklyn. He also saved us about half the cab fare by doing this. By the way, that first cab company ended up paying for half my cab fare from the airport on the Sunday night. When we got to JFK we relaxed and had the most expensive fast food I have ever seen anywhere - $45 for dinner for the 2 of us !!! Our flight boarded and I had to gate-check my guitar. I managed to carry it on for the flight to NY, but the plane going back was a little smaller. The pilot was a nice guy and checked on my guitar for me. We talked about United Airlines and all the news about a guitar that had been damaged on that airline. You can watch it on YouTube:

United Breaks Guitars - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Landed in Buffalo and my guitar was safe and no more damage to my wheelchair. Next stop duty-free and CANADA HOME.

Last two days taking it easy and resting, ready to do some writing and recording this summer.

Lots of stuff coming up this fall, Oct. 9th, Hamilton Place and my 40th Birthday !!!!!


Shawn

www.shawnbrush.com


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: